8 September 2021
To all Whanau, Families and Staffof Learning Links and The Farmyard
Re: COVID 19 UPDATE
We are all set to welcome families back from this Thursday with the centre now operating its normal hours.
Since the announcement on Tuesday, we have been reviewing all the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health guidelines for Level 2. A copy of these documents and our work safe plan is now on our website.
Craig Bleakley from Crombie Lockwood who is a Workplace Risk Manager has again reviewed these documents and makes the following comments:
“I have reviewed all of the documentation, and your revised safety plan, and am satisfied to endorse the measures and protocols that you will have in place. It was interesting to see that the MoE has not made the use of Hand Sanitiser to be a compulsory action, it was very good though to see that you have maintained the use of sanitiser for all staff and families on site for drop offs/pickups.
Whilst Level 2 may seem like a return to normal, all staff and families need to be hyper-vigilant in the following of the standard safety protocols and to keep away from the centre if a staff member or child are showing any cold/flu symptoms. There are still community cases getting reported in the Auckland area and it would only take one single event contact event to close down your centre and require strict isolation measures. Continue to err on the side of caution every time and don’t assume a “she’ll be right” attitude if you have a sore throat, high-ish temperature or runny nose. It is simply not worth the risk.”
We can confirm the following conditions for Level 2.
- Parents are asked to keep any sick children at home. If a sick child comes to the service, or shows symptoms, send them home. The same principle applies for staff.
- Young children require a lot of physical support and it is not possible to explain or maintain a physical distance between young children given the age of the children and set up of centres. This means good hygiene practices are even more important. There does not need to be a measurable physical distance between children or children and staff.
- Ensure all children and adults regularly wash and dry their hands.
- Ensure hand sanitiser is available for use and should be used on entering the centre by all.
- Outdoor play areas can be used, including sandpits.
- Excursions can recommence.
- Disinfect and clean all surfaces daily.
- Contact tracing (via tablet logon) must be in place to record who is on site every day.
- Face masks are not required and this is an individual choice.
- Food / drinks/utensils are not to be shared.
- For those centres with commercial kitchens a more simple meal will be provided this Thursday and Friday before resuming our Winter menu on Monday.
When you come to the centre you will see signage encouraging social distancing and requiring the use of hand sanitisers on entry to the centre. We will maintain contact tracing through the use of the sign in / out tablets as usual.
As mentioned earlier, all centres will return to normal operating hours and fees will recommence from this Thursday. If this does cause financial difficulty, please talk in confidence to the centre manager/supervisor and we will work with you. If your child is not returning this week, then there is nothing further you need to do, and we look forward to seeing you next week.
Jo and I would like to pay special thanks to all the amazing staff who have worked so tirelessly since the start of the lockdown either in front of the camera or behind the scenes, thank you.
As always if you have any questions or concerns at all please talk to us. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Thank you once again
Joanna Purdie Gavin Hazelden